Sunday, September 19, 2010

In a big girl bed


 
I knew that we would have to put Sabrina in a big girl bed at some point.  After all, I was sort of prepared; on Craigslist I found a fantastic deal for a white bunk bed that can be used as a traditional bunk bed or two separate twins.  However, I had been a bit resistant to transitioning Sabrina to a big girl bed.  By a bit resistant I mean I didn't want to do it at all.  I was hoping not to have to deal with it until October, but Sabrina forced the issue on us by figuring out first how to climb out of the pack n play we use at my parents house the weekend we were in L.A. for my cousin's wedding and then promptly using that information to climb out of her crib when we got home.  She was perfectly happy with herself!  I heard her playing with the doorjam, opened the door and there she was.  "Hi Mommy!!" and all pleased as punch. 

She would have been fine with sleeping in a crib but we were concerned that she would hurt herself trying to get down.  So out with the crib and in with the bed.  We spent an afternoon looking for a mattress, I found a couple of cute sheet sets and Sabrina and I watched a movie while Jerry set up the bed.  We made it a surprise for Sabrina and she just loved it.  All in all it's been a real non-event.  Evenings so far are very easy, she goes to sleep without any issues.  Naps can be a bit of a bigger challenge.  I mean, I keep the door closed and she's in there for two hours but if she doesn't want to stay in bed what can I do?  I can't force her to nap.  But actually (especially in the morning) it's been even better than the crib, because when she wakes up she can entertain herself.  She doesn't scream for us anymore; she reads a book or plays with some toys in her room which is a nice change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment